Recently I was going through one of my old journals (this quite a humbling and hilarious experience if you are a journaler and haven’t done it before). Anyway, I found an entry dated shortly after my wife and I found out we were pregnant with our first child. Here is my list of “Ten Things For My Children” from 2002.
- “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.” (Deuteronomy 6)
- God is familiar with all your ways. He know you before you were knit together in the womb. You cannot run and you cannot hide from Him. (Psalm 139)
- God sent Jesus His Son who died on a cross for the forgiveness of sin. Repent, believe in Him, be baptized and filled with the Holy Spirit.
- I love you. I love you on both sides. The passionate, feeling and emotional side. The commitment, action and deeds side.
- Be quick to listen…slow to speak…slow to anger (James 1 & Ecclesiastes 5)
- Jesus loves you. Love Jesus.
- People will love you…love people. People will hate you…love people.
- Have vision. Look beyond the obvious. See what casual observers do not see.
- Be disciplined. Put off, that is delay, gratification
- See God in creation: beauty, taste, passion
Amazingly I don’t think that I would add to this list, other than, “Don’t hit your sister.”